M•E~ My Feelings on dealing with hostility because I left and you’re still there suffering alone....

As I was scrolling through IG yesterday I couldn’t help but notice that  Venezuelan folk singer El Pollo Brito who I follow,  and love his music, was being attacked on Instagram for posting a funny joke about Mondays.  The comments ranged from “ what planet do you live in?”, to “I can tell that you no longer live in Venezuela as you don’t share our pain in your posts”, to “you haven’t said anything about the Junquito Masacre, how dare you?”.  I was surprised to see such hostile comments on his account for he prides himself in showing the good in Venezuelans.  He travels around the work  taking the Venezuelan Cuatro and music teaching  others about the rich culture the country has to offer, not only in music, but in general. 

I felt sad as I have seen a trend of fellow  Venezuelans who lash out on family members, friends, and colleagues who have left to live elsewhere for whatever reason they chose.  Venezuela is facing one of, if not the most critical period in history and not in a good way. Crime, hunger, lack of medical care, and poverty are at an all time high.  Things aren’t looking to improve any time soon.  However, these people who left, are being judged and held at a different standard than the ones who stayed behind. Or better said, the ones that haven’t found a way out.  Social media hasn’t helped the situation. To my understanding it has made it worse. But why?

Social media is an outlet for people to express their feelings, share pictures, update their followers/friends/fans on what they’re up to. However, most tend to keep negativity outof their social media accounts, or somehow use it an an escape from the harsh realities they are forced to deal with daily.  While some may choose to post about a terrible event, others cannot bring themselves to do so.  This doesn’t mean that a person isn’t sad, or feeling down, or approves of the terrible things happening. And that’s where some of the people are wrong.


To judge someone based on the fact that they chose to post some humor, that isn’t ill intended or bullies anyone is insensitive and pathetic .  To say that a person isn’t understanding of your suffering because they posted a picture at a party is selfish. To think that someone doesn’t care about the terrible things happening because they went on vacation with their family is senseless.  Life isn’t always a party for an immigrant. It’s a life full of suffering, hard work, and trying to adapt to a situation or place you never thought you would have to adapt to. You have to learn new customs, and a new language. Deal with ever changing laws that affect or benefit you. Expenses you never thought would come your way make their way into your bank account. Leaving you in debt, and without hopes of seeing the horizon.

So I tell you this, friend who lives where I once lived, I too hurt. I too suffer. I may not know what it’s like to go to a grocery store with little money and find nothing to eat and go home empty handed. But, I’m also the person who stands in a fully stocked market, wishing I could transport it to your door. In my mind, when I do my groceries and I buy an extra pack of cofee because it’s on sale, I picture you having a warm cup of coffee the way I can enjoy mine here and I also think about the unfairness of having a whole lane of coffee fully stocked at my Publix while you can’t find any. When I go to stores and see a good deal, I think, how is it possible that I can buy my son a little Hot Wheels car for $.99 cents and that same little car costs the equivalent of some crazy figure I can’t make out or process in my head?!  While I’m out, enjoying an outing with my family, I only wish you were here to enjoy with me. I constantly try to think about how much $20 means to you and how I make use of “my” money after all my bills are paid.   This means I deal with guilt, impotence, and pain daily. 

So please, never feel alone, never feel abandoned, for those of us who aren’t there with you, wish we were there with you, helping you, holding your hand, making lines to find food, caring for grandma with you, and cooking hot water and salt with you. You see the thought of not being able to do any of what you do daily,which is to try to survive in a country where survival is esssential but never a guarantee, is in fact what makes me the most sick.


Sincerely, your friend who lives in Miami since the age of 8,

Yheyling 

Este post fue inspirado por un post de una querida amiga mia y le pedí permiso para darle repost. La verdad que es muy triste ver cómo a veces se juzga a otros por haberse ido de su país, por la razón que sea. Tristemente hay una idea totalmente incierta de que el que se va se olvida, solamente disfruta, y no comparte el dolor de sus amigos y familiares que quedan atrás. Nada puede estar más lejos de la verdad. En mi caso no fui yo la valiente, fueron mis padres los que tomaron la decisión de llevarnos a vivir a un país diferente. Lejos de nuestra familia, hogar, y amigos. Pero duele ver que algunos piensen que aquí la vida es solo diversión sin dolor, ni remordimientos. Muchos sacrificios, muchos momentos importantes pasaron y nosotros no estuvimos ni estamos allí. Y ahora pues el país se está derrumbando con nuestros familiares , hermanos y amigos allí. Quien puede pasar la vida sin pensar en eso? Sin embargo, a pesar del dolor y la preocupación diaria, mi esperanza y Fe en Dios me permite poder seguir día a día. Les comparto una de mis escrituras favoritas Rev 21:3, 4 “ Y limpiará toda lágrima de sus ojos, y la muerte no será más, ni existirá ya más lamento ni clamor ni dolor. Las cosas anteriores han pasado” Vendrán tiempos mejores. Esa es mi esperanza❤️. #venezuela #venezolanosenmiami #venezolanosenelextranjero #rev2134 #godcomfortsthebrokenhearted

Comments

Popular Posts